7.31.2013

Channeling Suzy Homemaker: Looking to the past for a cleaner future

  My husband and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary today!   Two years after we were married our first child came a long, and I decided to stayed home with my new baby.  Even though I'm still very happy for making this decision - I'm not quite the homemaker I had hoped I would become, I look a little like this:

 Well still having that bit of journalist in me, I started researching vintage housewives, homemaking and housekeeping.   I found several blogs relating some really hilarious antidotes of trying to live exactly like a '50s housewife.  (Read here, here and here).  I also found a lot of articles on the "new domesticity" trend that has swept the nation (very interesting to look into by the way), and so I formulated an idea.

I wanted to look to the past for guidance on how to do this job of housekeeping and homemaking efficiently, effectively and actually enjoy it!  So here's the experiment, for one year - that's 365 days, I will be really focusing on those 3 E-words, mentioned above, in my housekeeping, cooking, child rearing, sewing, crafts, gardening, hostessing etc.  All the things women/wives/mothers would have focused on in years past.  I have several vintage housekeeping books and lots of references to help guide me on how it was done. While I won't be doing things exactly they way they did them  50+ years ago, I will be looking into how they would have accomplished the tasks at hand and applying what I can to help me improve and enjoy it.  I'll be posting what I learn as well as my successes and failures... hopefully this is fun and informative - I'm such a nerd at heart!






Some posts to look forward to (keeping in mind that I struggle in all these areas):

A housekeeping schedule
Meal planning on the wise
Laundry, Laundry, Laundry (the bane of my existience)
How the vintage woman stayed fit
Modern homesteading
Chef de jour - cooking from scratch
Teaching children responsibility
Family Finances - how to save for a rainy day
Balancing it all
...and whatever else comes up!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...